Course Title: Close Protection
Overview: this seminar is designed to address challenges that concern all Close Protection Officers, both during their preparation and during their performance of duties. It will cover and analyze the prevailing threats in Greece, present the most up-to-date and effective Close Protection tactics and offer a range of scenarios for the participants to master through practical application.
Organizers: Joint action of KEK KEM, Security Solutions Institute and officers with knowledge and expertise in the field.
- professionals who are licensed private security officers, employed or going to be employed in the field of Close Protection,
- individuals who want to obtain such a license and work in this field in the future,
- members of Law Enforcement Agencies whose mission often involves Close Protection,
- individuals who have the duty of care for persons requiring Close Protection,
- businesses employing staff whose duties include Close Protection,
- company employees (managers) whose duties are connected to Close Protection in one way or another,
- moreover, we must stress that apart from the staff employed in the field of Close Protection, this seminar can also be attended by the individuals who enjoy such services, since it can aid them in better comprehending the principles and best practices that govern their own security and the harmonious cooperation with their Close Protection Team.
Why you should attend this seminar: as an employee in the field of security, you will gain knowledge and tools which will significantly assist you in your job as a Close Protection Officer. As a future Close Protection Officer, you will have the privilege of gaining these tools and knowledge in advance and be ready and prepared to take on such a mission in the future. As an employer or manager, you will be able to better cooperate with your Close Protection Team in order to achieve the best possible outcome.
Course subject: for participants to understand and apply the most up-to-date and optimal techniques and tactics of Close Protection. Participants will be able to work individually or as part of a Close Protection Team and provide protection to individuals, whether they are VIPs, businessmen, celebrities or family members, such as children and spouses.
Learning objectives: gaining knowledge to a degree that will allow the participants to:
- engage in Close Protection operations,
- develop their skills and be able to operate as team members,
- Identify the different phases of a Close Protection operation,
- Determine the role and mission of the Close Protection team,
- Prepare a security plan for any event and implement it,
- Understand and apply the available techniques and tactics,
- Choose the best response in the event of engagement
Course syllabus: The syllabus will include a wide range of topics able to clearly provide the material that will become the foundation for the preparation and execution of an immaculate Close Protection operation.
During this course, the following will be analyzed:
- Principles governing Close Protection,
- Protective on foot and vehicle formations,
- Rules of engagement – disengagement, response tactics,
- Protection against IEDs,
- Pre-hospital first aid or care to injured individuals in a hostile environment,
- Tactical field fire in shooting range. Side arms will be used and combat tactics will be practised,
- The phases of Protective driving: Defensive, Evasive and Offensive Driving (optional)
Training staff: The instructors conducting this seminar are:
- Close Protection: Vangelis
- Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs): Kostas
- Pre-hospital care and Close Protection tactics: Christos
Each of the instructors is specialised in the subject he covers, while he has tested all the theories in real-life situations. The combination of theoretical training and practical application in similar operations guarantees the best possible outcome.
Way of conduct: the seminar material has been designed to be delivered in 4 consecutive 8-hour training days, combining theoretical courses in classrooms with practical applications in controlled areas and practice in real environments.
Methodology: the instructors in the classroom will use slide projectors, however the greater part of the seminar will take place outdoors in order for participants to better comprehend everything they were taught through practical application. The officer in charge will explain and present the tactics, while the participants will initially imitate him and carry on to apply these tactics until they fully master them.
Venues: the first meetings will take place in a KEM classroom, at 29 Averof Street, Athens.
As the participants progressively grow accustomed to the presented techniques and tactics, the location will shift to an open, albeit controlled area.
Finally, the meetings will take place in an urban environment with the application of techniques and tactics under real circumstances.
Shooting range will be used during day 3 and 4.
Day 1 – Tuesday, 26 June 2018
The participants will get acquainted with the Course and be presented with an analysis of its structure. Theoretical approach of the subject of protection and the rules that govern it. Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs). Practical application of the techniques of Close Protection on foot.
Purpose: Introduction into the basic protection techniques and tactics that can be used during a Close Protection operation. Technique analysis in the event of Close Protection on foot. Basic principles of handling explosive devices.
Brief program of Day 1:
- 09:00 – 10:00: Welcoming and introducing participants
- 10:00 – 12:30: Theoretical approach: principles of protection, threat and threat analysis, mental preparation, duties of Close Protection Officers and Close Protection Teams
- 12:30 – 13:30: Break
- 13:30 – 15:30: Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs), analysis of most recent incidents in Greece, actions towards avoiding such incidents
- 15:30 – 17:00: Close Protection tactics on foot
Day 2 – Wednesday, 27 June 2018
The subject of Day 2 will be Close Protection in vehicles and administering first aid to an injured or otherwise afflicted individual until emergency services arrive.
Purpose: Technique analysis for Close Protection in vehicles, duties and mission of parties involved. Actions in the event of an injury or medical incident, pre-hospital care.
Brief program of Day 2:
- 09:00 – 11:00: Close Protection tactics in vehicles, surveillance detection, attack recognition, vehicle dynamics – collision avoidance. Duties of Close Protection Teams during motorcade movements.
- 11:00 – 12:30: First aid, incident assessment, response in hostile environment, actions in incidents with multiple injured individuals, primary survey, vital signs, hemorrhage and shock control, transfer of injured individuals, response to car accident, Triage
- 12:30 – 13:15: Break
- 13:15 – 17:00: Practical application of Close Protection tactics and First Aid
Equipment that will be used: vehicles, handheld radios, individual and crew-served weapons
Day 3 – Thursday, 28 June 2018
On Day 3, the team will be going to a special controlled area (shooting range), where everything described during the first two days can be put into practice.
Purpose: combat tactics, shooting practice, first aid scenarios
Brief program of Day 3:
- 08:00 – 09:00: Transfer to practice area, shooting range
- 09:00 – 12:30: Unarmed combat tactics, individual combat tactics, firing shots
- 12:30 – 13:15: Break
- 13:15 – 16:30: Group combat tactics, firing shots
- 09:00 – 16:30: Practical exercises on Close Protection and first aid matters will be carried out throughout the day
Day 4 – Friday, 29 June 2018
Purpose: more practice at the shooting range and in a real environment
Brief program of Day 4:
- 09:00 – 12:30: Practice/exercises
- 12:30 – 13:15: Break
- 13:15 – 16:00: Practice/exercises
- 16:00 – 17:00: Evaluation – seminar completion
Image already added